Sometimes I think I was born missing some gene that understands the culture in which we live. There are just so many things I don’t get. Now please understand I’m not here to be rude or offend anyone, I just genuinely wonder about this stuff all the time. I list my questions in order of how often they come to me on any given day.
1) I don’t get why women dress up their lips to resemble the nether regions of an orangutan in heat. You know – red and puffy. Well of course it resembles other nether regions in full flush but orangutans are the only ones that expose it in public. We generally keep that very private. I’m sure it’s representation on the face IS very attractive to some but I would tone it down for a trip to the zoo. Or to a bar. Or to the grocery store…
2) Not that I’m pro slavery or anything but I don’t get why it is so much better to work at a job to earn just enough to get deeply in debt than it is to be housed and fed for your work. Yes we call it being a wage slave but I don’t think many take it all that seriously. Still, most people feel shackled to jobs, with no particular fulfillment feature, as if they had no choice. Why do people allow others to own their time? Time doesn’t equal money, it equals LIFE. There are choices – why is it so few make conscious choices about their time?
3) The answer to that question may have to do with another whole conundrum. What’s the deal with keeping up with the Joanses? Take a look at the Joneses! If all you see is glossy grooming and toys, that may be all there is! What’s the deal with that? Seems to me that if you have to flaunt it you are probably waving a flag to divert attention from the VOID you are feeling. But I could be wrong. Probably a perfectly good reason for ALL this stuff that I just don’t get.
4) I don’t get why so many people over a certain age – lets say 50 – still have issues with their upbringing. I don’t care what happened, get over it. I’ve heard a bunch of stories and frankly my dear… There must be many things out there that are far more interesting to think about.
5) Remember the old joke – “My hands are cold and nobody loves me!” And the answer, “Sit on your hands God loves you.” Remember that? I don’t get why people don’t get that! If your hands are cold do something practical – like sitting on them – and as for love you are swimming in a sea of love, the only way you can avoid seeing it is to be busy looking to people and THINGS for that which is right there along with the air you breathe. How is that so difficult to get? I don’t get it.
6) High heels – Expect it is related to #1 & 5
7) Diamonds! Good God. Never mind that people are dieing for them – as in actually being slaughtered – where did that whole thing about diamonds being so bloody (pun intended) precious come from anyway. Probably related to #’s 1-5-6. I think I’m starting to get it! I suppose #’s 2 & 3 are the male equivalent of women’s #’s 1 & 5. Yes a pattern is emerging as the song, “Looking for Love in ALL the Wrong Places”. #4 is just plain pitiful. The poor me card – well I guess it does still work. Probably far more relationships start with bonding over shared wounds than over shared joy.
Oh dear. I’ve lost my stomach for this project now that I have found the thread of the matter. I get it now. Well. Now I can stop saying I JUST DON’T GET IT. I so didn’t expect that when I started this post. Always a surprise inside – not always pleasant.
It’s a our first cold beautiful day. I’m going for a walk now. Have a beautiful Sunday.